Monday, July 21, 2014

The sun is really hot.

Date:  July 21, 2014
Area:  Canlun, Guatemala
Companion:  Elder Jara
Week 31


I got a sun burn this week, it`s actually been a while since I got one, I guess I`ve developed some sort of resistance to the sun, I`m probably also the tannest I`ve every been and probably ever will be in my life, that comes with being an Elder here, in the Polochic valley at least, and sunblock doesn`t really stay on because of so much sweating and then you end up wiping it off, but getting a hat for some days would probably be helpful. This week especially, it`s been 100 percent sunny all week.
We also actually ended up doing less work than we wanted to due to some unexpected and expected events that took longer than planned, like a baptism. Those usually end up taking most of the day here, but we baptized Gilberto Ca`al Chub` this week, or more commonly known as Otto. The baptism went well as well, smooth, and I was the one who did the baptism, in Q`eqchi no less. what you need to say is of course the same as other baptisms, but it goes something like this.
bapismal picture with Otto. He`s Q`eqchi`,
it`s hard to get them to smile for pictures.
(name) chi k`eeb`il chaq intaqlankil xb`aan li Jesukristo ninkub`si aaha` sa` lix kab`a li Yuwab`ej, li k`ajolb`ej, ut li santil musiq`ej. Amen.

There you go, the baptismal prayer in Q`eqchi`. Cool.

We did a bit of hiking this week and my legs kind of hurt, but on the other hand we did get some pretty good pictures, we found some new investigators, but we`re now going to start focusing on the five new baptismal dates we set yesterday and the parents of Otto, they`re all great and interested, we have several activities already planned to get them all together in the church and have a sort of fireside activity. Buy some bread, maybe some soda, and it`ll be a good time.
So, no mail this week, but tomorrow is Zone conference and I should be getting mail then, it`s always a very good day when I get mail.
I got questions to answer this week as well.
Anything you would tell new missionaries coming to bring? - Make sure you have good shoes, I`m not really good on advice, most things are not too hard to get, and you get things you need, the things my parents packed for me are great! I would say to missionaries coming in to study some Spanish before, it`s helpful, and maybe knowing more Spanish will give you a better chance at getting put into Q`eqchi` speaking, if that`s something your interested in.
A colorful Lizard

5 legged spider

Bunny - He said this one surprised him but didn't say why

Materials in Q`eqchi`or Spanish? - We can get any materials we need from the offices, hymnbooks, things to hand out, scriptures, the articles of faith, in both languages.
In the New area do you have a store that has stuff or do you just get stuff when you go to La Tinta?- We have a store, but it doesn`t have everything, so we buy our weekly stuff in La Tinta or El Estor.
Does your shower work? - Yes.
Have you used any of the mosquito stuff? - No, besides to sleep with a mosquito net.
What is your number one important item? - Good shoes or boots, you can buy your dinosaur boots here, the big ones if you need them, a raincoat, and my backpack, it`s good to have a great backpack.
The beautiful land I am serving in.



How is your new companion? - He`s great, I got over my fears and actually talked to him about things and now we`re doing fantastic and being obedient and such, although sometimes I`m terrible in Spanish, but that`s improving.

Elder Suitter is indeed an AP, I`ll see him tomorrow, I need a picture with him, I`ll do thattomorrow.
We have no meetings to meet our new companions, we just kind of try and corrilate bus rides and stuff to get people to their new areas, sometimes it`s not that easy, but it gets done.
Well, new Elders, maybe they`ll be called to speak some Q`eqchi` and maybe not, I don`t know.
I love you all, thank you for all the support.
Elder Saqi` Noq`

Elder North would love to hear form you.  It take mail at least two weeks to get to him so don't delay and get a letter out today.

Please do not use nick names on letters or packages. They have to go to the mission home and then be forwarded on. If you have a nick name on the letter it may never make it to him. THANKS
Send mail to:

Elder Jered North
Guatemala Cobán Mission
Apartado Postal #34
3ra Calle 2-02, Zona 3
Cobán AV 16001
Guatemala, Central America
It costs $1.15 to mail a letter to him. You can use regular envelops and stamps just make sure they equal $1.15. If it weights more than a regular letter you should take it to the post office to have it weighed.

OR

Use Dear Elder (www.dearelder.com)
its Free to my mission. Just got to
dearelder.com, create an account
and it will track the letters you send
so you can go back and view them.
On the drop down menu just put in
Guatemala Cobán Mission and then
address it to Elder Jered North.
They get mailed out once a week.
This will be the best way to contact
me since I don't have that much
time on e-mail each week.



No comments:

Post a Comment