Monday, September 8, 2014

Sick....Rest....and rice.

Date:  September 8, 2014
Area:  Kanlun, Guatemala
Companion:  Elder Jara
Week 38

So this week started with me and Elder Jara doing some service in the rice fields for the Pop Yaxcal family.  That means I figured out the secret of the rice, how it goes from the green plants to the grains of white rice that appear on the table and such.  So the green plants grow and then have seperate stalks that grow that hold the rice.  They look much like a wheat plant then.  You cut the whole thing down and then you seperate the rice from the stalk by pounding them against a wooden board into a make shift holder thingy...(look at pictures)  This work was really hard, I didn't bring enough water...so I ended up stopping earlier than the others because I was starting to get a little dizzy.

Then the rest of the week happened.  Wednesday we had zone meeting, which means mail!  I got a big one from Karoline and the kids, on from mom, one from Julie, another from Grandparents North (Happy Grandparents day by the way), and two from Grandma Mary.  AWESOME!

For the meeting we talked about Chapter 2 of Preach My Gospel, which is about styding more effectively.  Something I studied when I was back in La Tinta and I realzied that my study time was too disorginzed, now it is bwetter.  I'll study a topic for an hour, (or more if I had time) and shared my experiences in La Tinta in focusing my studies on themes more to be able to orginize my study.

Thursday was a normal day, we got visits in and such, we taught some new people actually.  Hopefully we can get them to start progressing well.  They are promising though, I love them already.

Friday through Sunday...Sick, it started Friday morning, or even Thursday night...Headache, fever, aches in the wrists and elbows and not being able to eat.  Not wanting to eat.  Saturday night I called the missionary nurse to say that I've been sick for a couple of days, I don't' call on the first day, because usually I only get sick for one day and then I'm back up on my feet.  Amazingly I got a call from Sister Curtiss and Presidente Curtiss to see how I was doing.  That was quite unexpected and I thought it was awesome.  My fever broke Saturday night returning me from a hot 101.5 to normal in about thirty minutes form when I actually called the nurse.  Sunday I did feel better, except for the headache, that went away as the day wore on and we were able to visit some member and do some things.  I'm good now and ready to go for another week.


Thank you all, I love you!
Elder North

Elder North's birthday is October 11th so if you would like to send him a card or anything I would do it soon as mail takes awhile to get there.  He would love to hear from you.  If you want to include something stamps are always needed and easy to put in the envelope without costing too much extra.
Elder Jered North
Guatemala Cobán Mission
Apartado Postal #34
3ra Calle 2-02, Zona 3
Cobán AV 16001
Guatemala, Central America



No comments:

Post a Comment