Monday, August 11, 2014

Ain`t nothin` like a Kekchi party

Date:  August 11, 2014
Area:  Canlun, Guatemala
Companion:  Elder Jara
Week 34


I`ll start this weeks letter with why the title of this week is what it is. So our neighbors, the family Pop Yaxcal had their little girl and another family member having a birthday close together, so we thought it would be awesome to share in helping with the party, our part was to buy a cake, it didn`t really cost that much. So, in a Kekchi party, it`s not really that extravagant, you go and you eat food and then say congratulations and go home and that`s pretty much it. What you eat is a dish called Caldo, it`s a more or less a chicken soup of sorts and it`s pretty good.

We enjoyed our time with food, cake and such, but then after it turned out that something or other was wrong with either the Caldo, or the amount of Caldo that I ate and I ended up being sick the next day, (Sunday) in which I had my second sick day of my mission, so we went to church and I slept the day away, but today I feel good.



In other news, I did get mail this week, many letters, one from Mom, Karoline, Jessy, Uncle Dan, and Uncle Jim. Three From Grandma Mary, and a little package from Grandma Pam that contained a beautiful journal to continue my daily writings. So.... If my Mom sent me one as well I will be quite grateful because I will need it in the future. With all these letters I realized that my audience is a little bit bigger than I actually thought. That`s pretty awesome though. Thanks for all your support guys.
A bit of news about the work right now, it`s a bit slow going, we asked a few people for baptism this week, but they didn`t accept and that was kind of a bummer, but we have some new people and some potential new people that may be able to progress, so our focus this week is adding new investigators to our teachings.

A new thing that we`ve been doing is Elder Jara and I are doing a class for the youth every Tuesday and Saturday, they get to play soccer afterward so they really enjoy it, we`re also shifting some more of our focus onto the members.
Peanut butter is something you can get in Teleman actually, so we get some great peanut butter, and to answer a question from Uncle Dan, I think something that I miss the most foodwise is beef actually, there`s some we can eat here, but the majority of the meat we have is chicken, lots of chicken.

We did a lot of walking this week and my legs got tired and I got a little sunburned again, which actually does not happen a lot, but it was good and we hope for a better week. We`re going to go on divisions this next week, I`m going to go with Elder Aguero, my father in the mission, it`s also his last week in the mission, so it`ll pretty much be my last time seeing him.




I love you all.
Elder Jered Lamont North,
Laj Saqi Noq`

No comments:

Post a Comment