Monday, November 24, 2014

I understand why my area has rock in it´s name. (pek = rock)

Date:   November 24, 2014
Area:  Korral Pek
Companion:  Elder Vargus

About the title of this weeks email, I fell down on Monday while going back home, taking the hour hike from Chulac after the hour and a half bus ride from El Estor. Anyway, I fell down and I scratched my arm, we were halfway home so I walked some 25 minutes before I could really get my first aid kit onto the scratch, but some alcohol and cleaning it up and it was all good, but falling down isn´t fun.

We had what I would say is a pretty standard week, although something did happen that was different, we come home from P-day and then Tuesday we go to District meeting in Chulac, walking there one hour and then after walking back and then we stay in our area until the next P-day.
So we´re really working with our fantastic investigator Emilio, he is progressing well, although his drinking problem may be a bit closer to the surface than I first thought, but he´s a fighter and he believes that this church is true, we havn´t taught him all the lessons yet, we only are missing one of the lessons, which is called lesson 5, and in other missions you wouldn´t teach that lesson before baptism, but here we do teach it before and then after of course. He came to church and also came to our special activity on Saturday.

So on Saturday, my previously mentioned special activity, was a baptism! Now we were going to have four children of the ward be baptized, but as it turns out two of them were older than nine years old which means they need to be interviewed by our district leader and they count as our converts. The baptism was a little bit unorganized, but it all went well, and as I said Emilio was there!
We havn´t found many other people to teach, but we are looking, it´s really fun to find someone that is really ready to receive us and the message we bring, although they get taught and then they get baptized so quickly that we need to find another, but we´re working hard to get there.
That´s about it for this week.


How do the people treat you?  Generally the people call me angry because I´m not that talkative, it is not in a mean way and with the people here it doesn´t really matter what you say, but you have to say something, unless you don´t know the language, then you can´t really do anything, and then you probably don´t know if they´re calling you an angry person.

With no power do you still use your ipod and speaker?
I use my Ipod and speaker and my rain coat, sometimes I take it with me and it doesn´t rain.
Our house uses solar panels so we have power at night and enough to charge our items a couple times a week and have light during the dark hours.

Where do you do your shopping?  We have a few stores, they sell the usual, beans, rice, noodles, sardines, all good.

Where do the kids go to school?  There´s a school, they´re in summer break right now and won´t be going to school until January I believe.

No  mail this week, but looking forward to when I do get mail.

Love you all,
Elder Jered North
He loves to get mail so take a minute and write him.  It costs $1.15 to send a letter to Guatemala.
Elder Jered North
Guatemala Cobán Mission
Apartado Postal #34
3ra Calle 2-02, Zona 3
Cobán AV 16001
Guatemala, Central America

No comments:

Post a Comment