Monday, March 17, 2014

An unexpected Journey: An Elder´s tale

On my way to Cobán
Date:  March 17, 2014
Area:  La Tinta, Guatemala
Companion:  Elder Aguero from Peru
Week:  13

Some of you might be wondering, woah! Jered is on really late, but.... Why? More to be said later. On to stuff about this week.


It kind of sucked. Reasons, all of our investigators we want to put baptism dates for are not accepting a date and are still kind of thinking about it, hardly any of our investigators went to church this week and we´re having trouble finding new investigators. That and many an appointment fell through. But are we mad? Are we sad? NO! Maybe a little dissapointed though, but hey, we look forward to next week, which now we can quite possibly without a doubt say was better than last week.

Not too much exciting other than that really, so I´ll be answering more questions today, but before that I did receive mail!

From Karoline, Mom, Grandma Mary and the Stake. It was a very happy moment as the mail from Mom was a little big, I opened it up and what did I find inside. The North yearly calender! WHOO! This calander has reminded me of things like Saint Patrick´s day and the like, so I am wearing green. I also did not forget that it was pie day and thus also Mikel´s birthday. This was even before I received the calender.

In other news I was called to go to The Capital of the country, yup, Guatemala City, why? Well, only to sign a paper of course, nothing else. So that means me and Elder Aguero packed up some stuff in our backpacks to live out of the house for two days and left Sunday evening to go to Cobán where we spent the night at the Assistants to the President´s house, which is awesome, here are pictures of all the fabulous things they have.









So we stayed there, woke up really early this morning to go to The Capital, four hour bus ride, an hour wait in a bus station, going to the offices and then to the Government building to sign the thing then back to the offices, driving around a bit then taking a four hour bus ride back to Cobán. Yeah... It was kind of short lived and I´m kind of tired of riding in buses, but I´ll need to wake up early tomorrow morning for the three hour ride back to La Tinta, busy, busy, busy.







Pictures from Guatemala City are below.





The best thing that happened though is that once back in Cobán I got to enjoy a nice burger from McDonald´s.... Oh yeah.  It tasted like at home, except better, because.... Gwatemaal


About my house, the gap in the cieling isn´t a gap, no rain or anything enters from there, the tin panels are overlapped and it let´s in light.

The people don´t marry because they don´t really feel much a need for it, it´s not that expensive to get married. Maybe less than ten dollars.

I miss a lot from the states, but who cares, I´m experiencing new things and things back in the states will be there when I get back.

I cut coconuts open with the machete in our house, it´s all good, milk, meat, everything. Coconuts are genius, a drink and a meal.

Strangest thing that happened this week, They said I needed to go to the Captial to sign a paper. Seven hours or more riding in busses to sign a paper, but if it means to stay here and serve, I´m pretty fine about it. I did get to see the city again, not sure I´ll get that again soon.

Now, while in Cobán I got to pick up an additional letter from Mom, which included an SD card. This will be useful.

That´s it for this week, it went by quickly and a new week starts, thanks for the support, encourage more people to send letters and send them yourself.

I love all of you,
Elder Norte

So yes although it does take time for letters and packages to get to him they do arrive.  I have been given a new address that is good for both letters and packages.  He would love it if you would drop him a line.  You can use regular stamps and regular envelopes just have them total $1.10.  You can also use dearelder.com and that is free.  All missionaries love letters and stuff but missionaries serving in foreign lands need extra support and love as they are missing their language, their culture, their surrounds everything.   

Elder Jered North
Guatemala Cobán Mission
Apartado Postal #34
3ra Calle 2-02, Zona 3
Cobán AV 16001
Guatemala, Central America

No comments:

Post a Comment